|Not to be put too far away in the Bushfire Season|
We have learned that these items are very important if we intend to stay and defend, but also the fire may come without much warning.
In addition to this box we will also need:
- a non flammable hat or helmet
- Woollen or Cotton clothing covering all areas of skin
- Good non-flammable/non-melting closed shoes or boots
- Batteries for torches and lights
- First Aid kit that is appropriately stocked
What's in the box?
- Smoke Masks - P2 rated or higher. These are disposable and you should have more than one per person. Enclose them in a plastic bag to make sure they remain fresh and ready for use.
- Safety Goggles - enclosed so that smoke won't get in your eyes. When the fires are nearby, the smoke is very thick and your eyes are instantly irritated. Keep some eye drops in your medical/first aid cabinet.
- High Visibility Vests - these are important so others can see you better. This is because you should not fight fires alone!
- Gloves - leather or otherwise flame proof. Embers and branches will be hot and you want to protect yourself.
- Glow Sticks - We used these to place around the ends of hoses and other important fire fighting gear. When the flames are close and embers are thick it is almost like daylight at times, but when it is dark and you need to find the hose or bucket, glow sticks work well. Don't use red or orange as these are confusing!
- Lights - Headlights were very useful so wherever you looked you had better light. A good torch also helped for longer ranges.